Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcoming Autumn.....

It's September first, the final days of summer are upon us. Autumn is showing herself, bit by bit. A cool breeze here, an orange leaf there. Before we know it, she will be here in all her glory. What do you do to welcome her in?
Autumn is my favorite season. By the time we're done celebrating Independence Day, I'm chomping at the bit to get my fall on! I love everything about it! (with the exception of the occasional allergy) It's time to break out everything comfy and cozy. It's getting cool enough to get out all your sweaters and blankets. The softer, the better! Soon it's going to be cool enough to start drinking cocoa and spiced tea. We've already started burning a harvest spice candle. The smell makes me smile.
I've got alot to do to get ready for her this year. After being large with child and then having to attend to a newborn, my housework has fallen behind. So the very first thing I have to do is get the house in order. The next thing is to go through our clothes. Pack up all our shorts and tanktops. I have to get out all our cool weather clothes. Not to mention, weed out all the clothes that don't fit anymore, and the ones we just don't wear. We have far too many clothes. Then I want to rearrange our living room and start decorating. And, soon enough, I'll have to clean out the fireplace, get the chimney swept and start stocking up on the firewood. I LOVE having a fireplace!!! I also need to stock up on supplies for the kitchen. Everything I need to make spiced tea and maybe a little pumpkin spice coffee. I have to get my baking supplies bought. And start perusing recipes for soups. Buy some pumpkins and mums for outdoor decorations. (Walmart has their mums out already. I'm so excited!!!)
I want to be totally ready by September 22nd (the official first day of fall) so I can just sit back and enjoy the season. This time next month, I'll be sitting on my front steps, wrapped in a blanket, enjoying a steaming cup of spiced tea, a cool breeze and the beauty of the Ozarks in Autumn. What do you do to get ready for fall?

No comments: