Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday's Martyrs

I imagine you are wondering why I chose the most tiresome day of the week to post about my saddest topic. At first, I wondered if it wasn't a good idea. Then I decided it was the perfect day. It's the perfect day, when all of us that are free to live our own lives and have so many worries and complaints, to read about people who have it so much worse off than we do. These people are imprisoned, tortured and killed all because of their faith. I think it puts things in perspective. Makes us see that our problems (in most cases) are so much smaller than we think they are. Be thankful for what you have and try not to dwell on the bad and aggravating things in your life. I'm talking to myself first and foremost. I have a bad tendency to complain about trivial things. I always have. I have been working on that and I pray this will help me put things in perspective as well.

Today's martyr is Li Ying.

She is in her early thirties. She is now serving a 15 year sentence for helping in the publishing of a magazine of an underground church in China. She and 16 others were arrested in April of 2001. And in December of 2001 she was condemned to death. She is not allowed to have a Bible and she is forced to work 15 hours a day making things that are to be exported out of China. She had been allowed visits from her mother. But those visits have been stopped because Li refuses to admit to being a member of a cult.

Lord God, I pray right now that you strengthen Li Ying. That you give her courage and endurance in her time of great trials. Give her peace and hope. And have mercy on her and cause her captors to have mercy as well. May her conviction be overturned and she be set free. In the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I didn't realize that I had missed so many posts!

I am interested in your daily subjects! Today's is very eye opening.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Oh Marietta, that is heart wrenching, it is terrible the way people are persecute for their beliefs.

I pray Li is set free, that poor, poor girl.